Friday, May 1, 2009

Mac Modifier Key Mapping

Reason #[some high integer] why I like Apple Mac computers:

I just got a nice new Razer Lycosa gaming keyboard (from woot.com) and plugged it into my MacBook Pro. Razer's website says no Mac drivers for the Lycosa keyboard are available, but I knew it would work as a normal keyboard. I figured macro functions wouldn't work, and I was fine with that, but I was somewhat disappointed to realize when I plugged it in that the Mac Command key was mapped to the Windows key on the keyboard. So, after a quick Google search for Mac key mapping turned up nothing, I looked in System Preference, in the obvious place, the keyboard and mouse pane. There, I discovered that not only did Mac OS recognize my keyboard by name, but that I could very easily remap the modifier keys.


So, after almost no effort, I am using a great gaming keyboard from a company that claims not to support Apple, with custom set modifier keys, and no third party software. I like Apple.

No comments: