Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Europe Day 1: Travel

For those of you who are not yet aware, I am spending my January term 2011 traveling in Europe as part of a Luther College class on Olympic Management. The class technically started from Newark International Airport, which made me slightly nervous because I had never flown alone before. I am happy to report that the flight to Newark from Milwaukee on Frontier, except for being delayed on the tarmac for slightly more than an hour due to mechanical problems (they could't seem to fuel the plane...apparently fuel is important...who knew!?), otherwise had no issues. I realized after going through security that I had neglected to take out my liquids for separate screening, as I should have been required to do. I also left them in my bag in Newark when I went through security, and again, I had no issues going through airport security with liquids in my carry-on bag, which I found interesting after all the protests and complaints a month or two ago. All the TSA staff were very professional and helpful.

High points of the day were flying over the New Meadowlands NFL stadium (easy to recognize because I could read "Jets" in the end zone), and seeing the Statue of Liberty for the first time in my life (albeit at a distance from an airplane).

Although the Frontier Airlines representative in Milwaukee told me to check because the time from arrival to my connecting flight was more than 4 hours, I was able to successfully check my luggage through from Milwaukee (on Frontier) to Munich (on Continental). Everyone in the group for the class made it to Munich with their baggage! German customs were a joke...some people in the group were asked questions about passport control (length of visit, etc) but I was just passed through. Then, our entire group just went through the "Nothing to Declare" line, and we were in Germany!

No comments: